ZELDA-LIKE SURVIVAL GAME CLOUDSCAPE, BY VETERAN ANIMATOR CHRIS GOTTRON FROM SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS AND OTHERS, IS LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!
Chris Gottron (aka Konitama), a former animator of Spongebob Squarepants, She-Ra, and The Fairly OddParents, begins today his crowdfunding campaign to fund the last leg of development of his highly anticipated action adventure survival game
Grab your sword and your tools and prepare to carve a place for yourself in the world: Cloudscape, the anticipated open-world action adventure and survival game for Nintendo Switch, PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series X and PC/Steam, begins today its journey on Kickstarter at 10am PST/1pm EST/6 pm BST! Cloudscape is the debut game of Chris Gottron (aka Konitama), a veteran animator artist from popular shows like Spongebob Squarepants, She-ra or The Fairly OddParents. With a funding goal of $50,000 to fund the last leg of development of the game, the Kickstarter campaign will be available for 30 days from today, featuring exclusive digital and physical rewards including a physical edition for Nintendo Switch.
Watch the brand new trailer of the Cloudscape Kickstarter campaign!
Inspired by classics such as Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing, Cloudscape mixes survival, action, exploration and social mechanics. You play as Kumo, a Cloudling who wakes up ashore on a sunny deserted island. You’ll have to explore the island and build a refuge for yourself, because this paradisiac place is not as uninhabited as it looks: monsters roam the island by night and will attack you on sight! You will have to gather materials to craft tools and weapons, forage and fish to get food, stoke your campfire to fend off the darkness of the night… You can mine, cut wood, plant and harvest and many more things to build your farm and thrive on your island.
Eventually you will manage to leave it – in order to leave each island though, you’ll have to make your way through monster and trap-laden dungeons — consisting of both meticulously handcrafted setpieces and procedurally generated areas, in order to ensure a perfect balance between replayability and experience. And that’s only the beginning of your real adventure! You’re not restoring a farm, you’re restoring the world. Society has become fragmented among these little parcels of land, and it’s your task to make them whole again.
You will keep exploring and finding ways to survive in every land you find, so as to expand your reach to multiple islands and bring them together, improving the life of whoever you find in your journey. Every playthrough is unique in Cloudscape: with a mix of procedurally generated and carefully hand-crafted areas, every experience will be different, without losing the quality of a curated, designed experience. Combining elements of survival and Zelda-like combat and discovery-based gameplay, Cloudscape is the story of a little cloud who falls to a fragmented earth – and decides to turn it into paradise.
- Explore a rich world with new exotic locales and unlock many new resources, tools and abilities to help take you further into the world.
- Farm, Fish, Forage and Craft as you brave the wilderness and try to bring heaven to earth!
- A cute, whimsical art style created by a veteran of the animation industry who previously worked on childhood defining cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants
- Many inhabitants to meet! Make friends, enemies or even find love
- Fight to survive the night! Craft and uncover new weapons to help defend yourself in the dark, as well as through special dungeons made as a love letter to classic Zelda titles such as A Link To The Past.
- Build a house, decorate it, fill it with stuff! Customize your look with different clothing
- Catch bugs, tame and raise animals (you CAN pet the doggy!), learn to cook, dig for buried treasure, solve puzzles and uncover secrets
- A special Nintendo Switch Physical Edition of Cloudscape available as a reward on Kickstarter! Konitama is working with a trusted partner with a track record of delivering on crowdfunded games to facilitate this.
CONTACT AND MORE INFO
Watch Cloudscape developer diaries here
ABOUT KONITAMA and Chris Gottron
Cloudscape is the debut game of indie studio Konitama, nom de plume of Chris Gottron. An experienced digital animator and artist, Gottron started his career working at Nickelodeon Animation Studio on a wide variety of shows, such as Spongebob Squarepants, The Fairly OddParents, and Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness. He later transitioned to DreamWorks Animation Television, where he contributed to shows such as All Hail King Julien, Voltron, and Boss Baby among others. During his stint in the animation industry he also spent some time developing game apps and prototyping games, leading to his choice to retire from animation and begin a new career as a full-time game developer.